21.2 C
Akure
Friday, December 2, 2022

Ekiti kidnap: We gave abductors cigarettes, alcohol, N5m – Victims’ family

By Victor Akinkuolie, Ado-Ekiti

|

The aged mother of the slain officer of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defense Corps (NSCDC), Mrs Moradeke Ayebulu, has recounted her ordeals during the negotiation between the family and the suspected kidnappers who abducted  other three members of the family.

The Septuagenarian spoke with our correspondent on telephone, shortly after the news of the release of the victims filtered into  the community.

It was gathered that the victims were released at about 6:30pm on Wednesday at a bush at Ayede-Ekiti, Oye Local Government area  of the state, after the family had parted with N5million.

The aged woman who attributed the safe release of the victims  to God Almighty, her family and the entire residents of Oke Ako community, noted that it would have been a double loss for the family, should the abductors tamper with them.

Mrs Ayebulu disclosed that the gunmen who  initially demanded for N30 million as ransom from the family, later reduced it to N10m

She said after series of negotiations which lasted for about 72 hours, the abductors later  agreed to take N5million including N100,000 for their recharge cards used during the negotiation.

“Apart from that, they equally demanded for packets of cigarettes, milk and alcohol, which they asked us to drop at a spot along Odo-Oro and Ikole-Ekiti axis.

The 75-year-old woman explained that  apart from being bereaved the NSCDC officer, who was killed, she equally went through much  stress on how they would secure the release of the victims.

Recall that the victims, who included a younger brother to the late NSCDC officer, his five -year-old son and his brother’s child aged 11, were kidnapped  last weekend at Oke Ako, along Irele-Ekiti road , Ajoni Local Council Development Area in Ekiti state.

According to her, the victims are currently recuperating in a private facility within the state,  and would soon reunite with members of  the family.

Also confirming the release of the victims, the Regent of Oke Ako, Princess Tinuade Ogunbiyi, said the victims had been released, saying, “My people have called to inform me that they have been released. I cannot say how much was paid to secure their release.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest news

MOST COMMENTED

Related news