I didn’t snatch ballot box-Olabimtan
By Chris Chimezie
Ondo State All Progressives Congress (APC) State Party agent at the recently concluded House of Assembly election, Mr Victor Olabimtan, has refuted claims of allegedly snatching ballot boxes and perpetrating violence on the day of the election held on March 9, 2019.
Speaking with Government House correspondents in Akure yesterday, Olabimtan said it was a calculated effort to tarnish his name.
“A press conference became necessary to clear my name because Sahara Reporters, had on Monday, March 25th, 2019 published a malicious, false and unverified story against my person.
“All faceless people that purportedly granted interview were fake. Their sponsors cannot come out because they know they have no iota of truth.
“He explained that his house, business and properties were being attacked and destroyed. I immediately put a call through to the governor to update him.
“I also informed the governor that I was already leaving Supare in Akoko South West LG for Akure to resume my duty at INEC office in Akure, as the state party agent.
“At Oba-Akoko, I ran into several road blocks where I was harassed and attacked. I made spirited efforts to explain myself, but they shot and attacked my vehicle,” he said.
Olabimtan further explained that he was rescued when a police vehicle on random patrol arrived the scene.
Asked if he had appeared before the Dr Femi Awani led five-man Committee of Inquiry set up by the Governor to look into the remote and immediate causes of the crisis, he explained that the committee had invited him to submit a written statement on what transpired on the day of the election which he had already done, adding that he would be at the public hearing of the committee on Monday.