By Samuel Edu
The coast is now clear for the flag off of the much anticipated fly-over bridge proposed at Onyearugbulem/Shagari village junction, along the ever busy Akure/Owo expressway.
In preparation for this, property owners have started, though reluctantly to remove their valuables from the designated areas.
Motorists for a long time have been lamenting the gridlock often experienced on the axis over the years.
Ondo State Commissioner for Lands, Infrastructure and Housing Raimi Aminu who hinted about the project on OSRC’s Policymakers programme “Roundtable” last week promised that the proposed flyover at Onyearugblem /Shagari junction will be delivered in 12 months.
He assured the people of Ondo state that the Akeredolu administration will continue to prudently utilize resources for life changing projects across the state.
Aminu who revealed that over 35 kilometers road maintenance project is ongoing said they were based on assessments.
To this, residents of the area have commended the Ondo State Government over this move, saying it will go a long way in bringing respite the way of motorists plying the road.
They, however, appealed to the government to as a matter of urgency pay the compensation promised to those who will be affected.
One of the landlords, Mr Tunde Akintade said what the government is doing its best in interest of the masses.
“Upon the completion of this flyover, there will be smiles on the faces of all and sundry. It will serve as a boost to commercial activities in the state.
“With the new development coming to Ondo State, proper road network is indispensable. Maritime school, Port Ondo, Aviation school among others will all soon take off in the state.
“All these are preparations geared towards the development of the state and the masses must cooperate with the government.”
Another landlord who does not want his name in print said “government has told us to move out of this facility, I am a widow with five children, as it stands, I have no clue as to where to go from here.
“I have all my documents and certificate of occupancy and I have submitted them at the designated office but till now, we are yet to hear from the government.
“Government’s move in bringing an end to the traffic crises is highly commendable but we appeal to the government to do the needful by paying the promised compensation.”
Adeboye Bunmi, a business owner in the axis said “as much as we commend the move of the government, the notice we were given is too short.
“Just last Friday, we were given 45 days to move out of this space, I am surprised to see that they have already started removing shops and structures.
“This is where I am making the little peanut I am using to take care of my family and I have no clue as to where I am going from here.”
Abba Benedict said “this will definitely bring about development and increase in sales. For now, I am already on the lookout to secure another location for my business, I believe strongly that businesses will be back and better upon the completion of this long overdue project.”