By Kemi Olatunde
One’s child will always be one’s pride. A woman cannot call a mad person going on the street her child but she can surely say that the doctor that I introduced you to is my son.
A child can determine respect his /her mother and vice verse. No one will respect a mother whose son is always seen in the beer palour.
My reason for writing this in today column is to tell children to make their parents proud and also respect them as it was written in the scripture that if you give your parents due respect, you will live long on earth. Children I hope that after you read this story you will turn a new leave and start respecting your parent as an old adage goes respect is reciprocal as you respect your elders the same way your young ones will respect you.
There was a happy family in the land of Isan-Ekiti in Ekiti state, this family had two children, one was Odediran and the order was Adeleke. Odediran was the first born and he was showered with so much love and care while Adeleke was left alone to take care of himself all they did was to provide him education and his basic needs. Mr. and Mrs. Faderera allowed hatred to manifest between their two children, Odediran and his brother, Adeleke.
On one faithful Sunday morning, the whole family was going to church excluding Adeleke, who was made to stay back to clean the house as they were expecting a visitor Adeleke suddenly fell asleep after cleaning the sitting room and the dining room. He woke up when the other members of the family arrived.
It was God that saved him that he had tidied the sitting and dining room so he had the chance to tidy the other parts of the house when his parents and brother were still attending to the guest or else he would have been in hot soup.
The whole truth was revealed when their aunt, came to spend the Christmas holiday with them, one day Adeleke took up the courage to ask his aunty why he was being maltreated. And his aunty answered saying it is not that your father hates you, it is because of your brother, when we checked his horoscope we found out that Odediran will become a king while you will become a chief but they gave us one condition that we must only take care of one of you or else both of you will die and they also said you will die at a very young age that was why we decided to go for Odediran. So can you see that it is not that your parent hates you it is just that they don’t want both of you to die, okay? So try to understand your parents feeling, and don’t ever think they hate you.
The words of Adeleke aunt made him brighten up once again. Adeleke and Odediran finished their secondary school education and both of them were set for higher institution. Odediran gained admission into Landmark University, a private university in Akure, Ondo state while Adeleke gained admission into university of Ado-Ekiti (UNAD), Ekiti state.
Finally, the rejected stone became the corner stone. Odediran used his parents’ love the wrong way by keeping bad companies, but, Adeleke used the chance he was given to go to school wisely and got credits in all his subjects. He came out in flying colors and his parent were so proud of him
After the long run Adeleke served his country and he became successful in life. His parents thereafter thanked him for not disappointing them unlike his brother who dragged the name of their family in the mud. Children in all you do, always try and make your parent proud God bless you. AMEN
Toluwani Olowookere, Akure
- What building in New York has the most stories?
The public library!
- What did one volcano say to the other?
I lava you!
- How do we know that the ocean is friendly?
- What is a tornado’s favorite game to play?
- How does the moon cut his hair?
- How do you get a squirrel to like you?
Act like a nut!
- What do you call two birds in love?
- How does a scientist freshen her breath?
- How are false teeth like stars?
They come out at night!
- How can you tell a vampire has a cold?
She starts coffin.
- What’s worse than finding a worm in your apple?
Finding half a worm.
- What is a computer’s favorite snack?
Computer chips!!—reader Rebecca K.
- Why don’t elephants chew gum?
They do, just not in public.
- What was the first animal in space?
The cow that jumped over the moon
- What did the banana say to the dog?
Nothing. Bananas can’t talk.
- What time is it when the clock strikes 13?
Time to get a new clock.
- How does a cucumber become a pickle?
It goes through a jarring experience.
- What do you call a boomerang that won’t come back?
- What do you think of that new diner on the moon?
Food was good, but there really wasn’t much atmosphere.
- Why did the dinosaur cross the road?
Because the chicken wasn’t born yet.
- Why can’t Elsa have a balloon?
Because she will let it go.
- How do you make an octopus laugh?
- How do you make a tissue dance?
You put a little boogie in it.
- What’s green and can fly?
- Knock knock.
- What did the nose say to the finger?
Quit picking on me!
- What musical instrument is found in the bathroom?
A tuba toothpaste.
- Why did the kid bring a ladder to school?
Because she wanted to go to high school.
- What is a vampire’s favorite fruit?
A blood orange.
- What do elves learn in school?
- What do you call a dog magician?
- Where do pencils go on vacation?
- Why couldn’t the pony sing a lullaby?
She was a little hoarse.
- Why didn’t the skeleton go to the dance?
He had no body to dance with.
- What gets wetter the more it dries?