By Michael Ofulue, Osogbo
The Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, has expressed his heartfelt sympathy to the traders of Odo-Ogbe market, over the recent fire outbreak purportedly caused by power surge, resulting in monumental losses.
The Governor, represented by Jide Falade, the General Manager of Osun State Emergency Management Agency (OSEMA), commiserated with the victims, while conducting an on-the-spot assessment of the Odo-Ogbe market scene in the ancient city of Ile-Ife.
Adeleke sympathized and commiserated with the victims, assuring them of government’s support through the Emergency Management Agency, after submitting the report of his team assessment to the relevant agencies.
The Babaloja of the market, Mr. Jimoh Odeyemi, who recounted how the ugly incident happened, disclosed that 16 shops were destroyed in the inferno which led to loss of goods worth millions of Naira.
Mr Odeyemi who earnestly requested government’s assistance, intervention, and immediate reconstruction of the market, also suggested the establishment of a fire station within the market premises for enhanced safety.
Rotimi John Adeyemiwo, the Chairman of Ife Central Local Government, joined the appeal, urging the Federal Government, through NEMA, and the State Government to provide assistance.
He emphasised the urgency of aid, especially considering that most victims had stocked goods in preparation for Christmas.
In a related incident, properties worth millions of naira were also destroyed in a fire incident that gutted a bungalow belonging to one Mr. Bamidele, at Igbo Ile Area of Ikirun, Osun State.
Our correspondent learnt that the fire was caused by an occupant of the house who lit a candle in her room and went to church for prayers.
The Public Relations Officer Of Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, NSCDC, in the state, Kehinde Adeleke, in a statement said the fire incident occurred on Monday.
Adeleke also said there was no life lost in the fire but properties worth millions were destroyed.
He, however, urged residents and the general public to exercise caution and stay away from anything that might cause fire, especially during the dry season.
He said,”The fire incident occurred at 00:30am according to informants. Officers and men of the corps visited the scene and sympathizers were met on ground wearing sad looks.
“One of the occupants of the building said a tenant lit a candle in her room, locked the door and headed to the church for prayers. It was one tenant in the house that woke in the middle of the night and raised the alarm before others were rescued.
“We advised those at the scene to be careful of the fire, especially in this dry season.”