Residents protest remand of suspected cultists
From Fisayo Akinduro, Osogbo
Some residents of Osogbo, have stormed the premises of the Magistrates’ Court in the town, to protest the remand of 23 people by the court for alleged breach of public peace and possession of Indian Hemp.
The accused persons suspected to be cult members of the Eiye and Aiye confraternities, were dragged by the police before the presiding Chief Magistrate, Mrs Rofiat Olayemi on two-count charge.
The protesters, who are parents, employers, pastor and civil servants, accused the police of raiding innocent citizens for offence they knew nothing about.
When the court could tolerate their noise within the court premiss, had to instruct policemen to chase them out.
The accused persons are; Abidemi Rapheal,35, Omotosho Sunday, 21, Fatai Adeyemi, 35, Lekan Kolapo, 19, Jamiu, Ajetunmobi 18, Saiq Adebayo 19, Tosin Ayodele, 29, Gbenga, Oke 25, and Ayodeji, Balogun 18.
Others are; Lekan Ogunsile, 18, Lateef Quadri, 18, Pele Kehinde, 42, Kayode Olaoye, 24, Ajibade Tosinloba, 18, Taofeeq Lamidi, 35, Saheed Adedeji, 34, Wasiu Adeniyi, 27, Rasak Fadulilah, 23, Oderinwale Kabiru, 30, Nweke Emmanuel, 21, Sunday, Agbom 22, Sefiu Muhammed, 22, and Wasiu Oyedeji, 22.
The prosecution said the accused persons committed the offences on June 13, 2019 at about 8:30 pm along Old garage, opposite Freedom Park , Osogbo, contrary to sections 430 (a)(b), 249(d), 516(1)A, and 64 (a) of the Criminal Code Cap 34 Vol. 11, Laws Of Osun, 2003.
The police prosecutor, ASP John Idoko, told the court that the accused persons alleged to be the members of Eiye and Aiye secret Confraternities conspired to breach the peace of the state and were also found with Indian Hemp popularly known as Cannibis Sativa.
He said the situation led to many innocent citizens scampering for safety because of the unlawful act, carried out by the two cult groups last week.
All the accused persons pleaded not guilty to the four- count charge levelled against them.
The defence lead counsel, Mrs Teju Kolawole, had wanted to apply for an oral bail application, but the magistrate, Rofiat Olayemi interrupted her and said she would not release the accused persons on bail, notwithstanding their offences were entitled to bail.
The Magistrate refused the accused persons bail and ordered their remand in Ilesa prison due to security challenges facing the state, adding that their release might hamper the peace in the state.
She said she was aware of the recent attacks by some suspected thugs in the state and the shootings that accompanied their clashes, saying that it was disturbing and needed to be curbed
Olayemi, told the counsel that though the alleged offences were bailable, releasing the accused persons on bail would jeopardise the efforts of the security agencies to restore peace to the state.
The Magistrate, however, said she would adjourn to a short date. She therefore said counsels to the accused persons would still apply for their bails orally.
He adjourned the case till June 24, 2019 for bail applications.